Yum, Yum, Yum... that's what you'll say to yourself with every bite of this lo mein. This recipe is flavorful and doesn't leave you feeling heavy and gross like take out may.
Veggie Lo Mein
(Topped with leftover grilled chicken and garlic chili sauce)
What you'll need:
8oz Lo Mein Noodles
5 cups of water (to boil noodles in)
3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 large celery stalk, diced
3 green onions, diced
half yellow pepper, diced
1 cup broccoli, diced
1/4 large yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, diced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt, to taste
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil (If you don't have sesame oil, use any flavorful oil)
1tsp cornstarch (if you'd like to thicken sauce)
- In a large sauce pan, bring water to a rolling boil.
- Dice your veggies.
- Add noodles, bring back to boil and allow to cook for 4 or 5 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, heat sesame oil in large wok and stir fry veggies.
- Once veggies are tender, add broth, allow to simmer, add 1 tsp of flour or cornstarch if you'd like to thicken sauce.
- Once noodles are cooked, drain in colander and run under cold water to stop your noodles from becoming overcooked
- Add noodles to veggies, sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes, and enjoy!
Note: I topped my lo mein with chicken (protein) for staying power! ;-)
That's my 2 cents!